[Lasa] am i missing something?

emma cervone cervo63 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 19:47:34 PDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,
I have been following the events of last week in Ecuador via media,and also reading the emails that were circulated on that.
Re: Manuela: I personally believe that doubting about the unfolding of the events and what happened to her AFTER we read her own declarations means that her words are not worth of trust.Videos made with phones and in a hurry during the events may not have the quality of images that some would like  (even though in those I saw it was to me rather clear that she was not treated by the police as someone who needed protection from the mob!). Her words though should suffice, or not? Or am I missing something here?

What I find problematic, however, is continuing this back and forth discussion which is now is beyond the point since very fortunately Manuela is finally free and safe and I am sure she will follow the proper course of action.
I think we need to focus instead, on mounting the same pressure campaign for the tens of indigenous protesters who have been arrested during the protest and are still in jail as we speak. We mounted a great solidarity campaign for Manuela. Let's do the same for the others. I am sure that Manuela and Carlos Perez would support that!
Incidentally I am enclosing a link to a CNN video on Manuela's case. In it you can see that  she is not really rescued from a mob, that Carlos appears with a black eye, and can hear the attorney's declarations about the fact. Hope this is enough to dissipates doubts.
Peace,Emma

La detención de Manuela Picq - CNN Video
|   |
| La detención de Manuela Picq - CNN VideoLa ciudadana franco-brasileña fue detenida durante las marchas contra Rafael Correa. ¿La justicia ecuatoriana está violando sus derechos? |
|  |
| View on www.cnn.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |