[Lasa] Smithsonian article about Juan Garcia Salazar - Afro Ecuadorian oral historian - and the National Museum of African American History and Culture

Chuck Kleymeyer ckleymeyer at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 16 16:20:18 PDT 2019

Colegas,
The link below will take you to an article that was just published(in English and Spanish) in theSmithsonian online magazine:
Meet Juan García Salazar, the Man Who Championed Black Identity in Ecuador

|  |  |

|  |
Meet Juan García Salazar, the Man Who Championed Black Identity in Ecuador

Behind the very first artifact to enter the African American History Museum's collections resides a story about ...

The article focuses on Juan Garcia and his donation of his grandmother’s iconic boat seat tothe National Museum of African American History and Culture. This was theirfirst acquisition ever, and they now have close to40,000 artifacts in their collection.

The Museum is doing a major tribute for Juan onJune 30th in the Oprah Winfrey Theater, and I am involved because he and Iworked together for 37 years on a variety of projects andactivities. (After checking out the article, click on the video embedded in it, of simultaneous, bilingual stories from Ecuador.)

As part of the preparations for the tribute, Itraveled to Ecuador recently, with two curators from the Museum. We visited Afro Descendant areas of the country and met with more than 50 people who had worked with Garcia. He was ahumble and dedicated man who has been called “the Father of Black EcuadorianIdentity.”

Saludos,
Chuck Kleymeyer
(If you want tickets to the June 30th event, contact me ASAP. It sold out in two days, but there are still some VIP spaces left.)