[Lasa] María Paula Romo at the University of Pennsylvania

Johannes Waldmüller johannes.waldmuller en graduateinstitute.ch
Vie Nov 19 10:45:10 PST 2021

Mine too please!
Johannes Waldmüller,PhD
Visiting Professor International Politics
University of Vienna

Am Freitag, 19. November 2021 schrieb Rut Roman <rutroman en gmail.com>:

> Please add my name to the list:
> Rut Roman, Ph. D.
> Independent Researcher
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 at 13:22 David Brotherton <dbrotherton en jjay.cuny.edu>
wrote:

>> Yes of course add my name ...
>> In solidarity
>> Dave Brotherton
>> CUNY
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Nov 19, 2021, at 12:17 PM, Fine-Dare, Kathleen <FINE_K en fortlewis.edu>
wrote:

>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of John Jay. Examine it
closely before clicking on links or opening attachments

>> Hello - Thank you for this. Please add my name to the letter:
>> Dr. Kathleen S. Fine-Dare
>> Professor Emeritus of Anthropology and Gender Studies
>> NAGPRA Liaison
>> Fort Lewis College
>> Durango CO 81301
>> Let me know if you need more information.
>> Best,
>> Kathy
>> Get Outlook for iOS
>> ________________________________
Gamble <jcgamble en gmail.com>
>> Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 10:44:29 AM
>> To: lasa en lists.ecuatorianistas.org <lasa en lists.ecuatorianistas.org>
>> Cc: Nicholas Limerick <nlimerick en gmail.com>
>> Subject: [Lasa] María Paula Romo at the University of Pennsylvania
>>

>> ***Please excuse cross-listing or reposting***
>>
>> November 19, 2021
>>
>> Dear Ecuadorian LASA list members,
>>

>> We hope this email finds you well during these times that continue to
present uncertain realities. We write to you today out of dismay about
recent events occurring at the University of Pennsylvania. We recently
learned that Penn’s Center for Latin American and Latinx Studies (CLALS)
has appointed Ms. María Paula Romo as a Visiting Scholar for this 2021 Fall
semester. As you can imagine, the news of this designation comes with shock
and disappointment.

>> We write to request your support by signing an op-ed that we have
co-authored and plan to send to Penn’s student newspaper, The Daily
Pennsylvanian. Please review this op-edwe wrote about Ms. Romo’s
appointment and Penn’s role in legitimating Ms. Romo’s perspective, since
part of what Penn seems to be avoiding is English-language information
about the appointment.

>> As alumni of this institution, we have been in contact with CLALS
Director Professor Tulia Faletti to gain insight into the decision-making
around the appointment. We also corresponded with Prof. Faletti by
presenting evidence that discusses Ms. Romo’s responsibilities as Minister
of Government when she ordered the repression of those protesting President
Lenín Moreno’s austerity measures. Ultimately, Professor Falleti informed
us that she plans to uphold Ms. Romo’s appointment. Yet, despite
corresponding with us, Prof. Faletti is simultaneously masking Ms. Romo’s
status through having pulled down Ms. Romo’s Visiting Scholar page from
CLALS’s website, refusing to respond to a change.org petition with more
than 10,000 signers, and ignoring the active Twitter campaign against this
appointment that has largely happened from Ecuador. The whole situation
feels ambiguous and disingenuous.

>> We write the listserv to see if others would be interested in signing
before we send the petition to The Daily Pennsylvanian, the University of
Pennsylvania’s student newspaper. We hope you are able to sign on. Also,
please feel free to circulate this letter to other Ecuadorianist scholars
that would potentially sign-on.  If you need more information about our
previous correspondences with the University, we’re happy to provide it.
After reviewing the letter, if you wish to sign on and support the letter,
please email us back at Julie Gamble (julie.gamble en trincoll.edu) and
Nicholas Limerick (nl2539 en tc.columbia.edu)

https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/library-bus-for-northern-manabi-coast-ecuador/

--
Dr. Johannes M. Waldmüller

*www.johanneswaldmuller.net <http://www.johanneswaldmuller.net>Development