[Lasa] Geographies of Hope-in-Praxis 🌲👊🏾✨—Theme Issue of Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space

Juli Hazlewood jahaze en gmail.com
Jue Nov 9 05:22:09 PST 2023

Estimad en s Ecuatorianistas,

I hope that this email finds you well. I am happy to announce and to share
the following theme issue of *Environment and Planning E: Nature and
Space *that
sheds a bit of light on Geographies of Hope-in-Praxis. We focus on
collaboratively decolonizing relations and regenerating relational spaces,
especially drawing on Indigenous and ancestral communities' sciences/ways
of knowing.

https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/ENE/current

Here also is a link to the introduction, in case you want to go directly
there:

Geographies of Hope-in-Praxis: Collaboratively decolonizing relations and
regenerating relational spaces
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/25148486231191473> (open
access)

*Highlights*
1. Geographies of Hope-in-Praxis step into ongoing conversations about
hope, push back on business as usual, and amplify understandings of
initiatives to (re)assemble different kinds of wor(l)ds.
2. We activate hope through long-term, reciprocal, and accountable research
relations in Brazil, Ecuador, the Philippines, and Southeast Alaska,
California, and Kentucky in the USA.
3. We “geographize” hope by digging into praxes of hope and conceptualizing
those experiences within six “dimensions”: place, alliance, the
unthinkable, perseverance, resilience, and the (im)possible.
4. GgsHope-in-Praxis hail a commitment to strengthen a pluriverse of ways
of understanding, doing, and being in the world—a symphony of ways to
(re)exist.
5. GgsHope-in-Praxis are being built from the ground up and across long
lineages of polycentric struggles to collaboratively decolonize relations
and regenerate relational spaces of environmental-with-racial justices.

And although focusing largely on the Americas (and the Philippines), here
are the two articles that focus on South America:

Territories of hope: A human geography of agrarian politics in Brazil
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/25148486221135303> by
Bernardo Mançano Fernandes

and

Be(y)on(d) the map: Collaboratively activating Geographies of
(De)CO2loniality/H2Ope in the Ecuadorian Chocó borderlands
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/25148486231191473> by Juli
Hazlewood (me), and is open access

We hope that you enjoy the articles! Please share with friends, colleagues,
and students!

Thanks and take care,

Juli Hazlewood

*Julianne A. Hazlewood, Ph.D. in Geography*
Co-Founder & Executive Director
Roots & Routes Intercultural Collaborations <http://rootsroutes.org/>

Teaching Faculty, University of California, Santa Cruz
Environmental Studies Department and Rachel Carson College

Member, United Nations Expert Network on Harmony with Nature
<http://www.harmonywithnatureun.org/welcome/>

*"Que tus sueños sean más grandes que tus miedos"*
*[May your dreams be bigger than your fears]- Acción Poética*