[Lasa] Call for Papers for Society for Applied Anthropology 2018 Meeting (April 3-7, 2018)

Carla Guerron-Montero cguerron at udel.edu
Thu Jun 15 08:57:47 PDT 2017

*                                                2018 Annual Meetings*

*The Loews Philadelphia Hotel*

*April 3-7, 2018*

*Philadelphia, Pennsylvania*

*Sustainable Futures *are put forth with the goal of meeting the needs of
the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet
their own needs.  We include in the concept sustainability considerations
of the distribution of wealth and resources and environmental renewability
in our time and in the contexts of nationality and ethnicity, race and
social class, and gender and sexuality. The 2018 Annual Meetings will bring
to the forefront the ways in which anthropologists and other applied social
scientists and professionals are tackling the most pressing issues of our
times--including but not limited to migration and displacement, climate
change, technological processes, travel and mobility, access to education,
the preservation of natural and heritage resources, health care and well
being, and global economic and political crises.

Philadelphia is an ideal venue for such a meeting, both geographically and
as a metaphor.  The birthplace of the United States experiment of
government is an appropriate setting to explore and recommit to a
sustainable 21st Century aligned to community involvement and expansive
social engagement. The 2018 program will include themes related to
Philadelphia as well as current global crises such as deportation,
refugees, immigration, and diversity, emphasizing the value of facts and
evidence in our research.

Contributions that address all aspects of applied social science inquiry
and practice are invited. Proposals for sessions, papers, symposia,
discussions, and other activities related to this theme as well as to other
topics are encouraged.   The deadline for submissions is October 15, 2017.

The 2018 Meetings will recognize the place in which we are meeting.  We
welcome sessions, activities and events devoted to topics that are of
direct interest to the people of the Philadelphia metropolitan region, and
we endeavor to provide opportunities for active public participation in our
Meetings. We sincerely invite your advice, suggestions, and participation
in the 2018 meetings of the Society for Applied Anthropology.  See you in
Philadelphia!

Carla Guerrón Montero                                          Society for
Applied Anthropology

SfAA 2018 Program Chair                                      405-843-5113
<(405)%20843-5113>

cguerron at udel.edu
info at sfaa.net

[CALL AVAILABLE IN SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE AT https://www.sfaa.net/annual
-meeting/theme/]

*Carla Guerrón Montero, PhD*

Associate Professor of Anthropology

(Joint appointments with Latin American and Iberian Studies

Program, and Departments of Women and Gender Studies and Black American
Studies)

135 Munroe Hall

Newark, DE 19716 United States

Phone: (302) 831-3362